Congratulations, You've picked a challenging career! We are all built to perform some function in life. Selling, especially in the Automation Marketplace requires a combination of skills that are rare indeed. So, what do I mean by that?
The Skills of an Industrial Automation Sales Professional:
- Cold Call and/or follow up on Leads
- Understand the selling process
- Understand the product value propositions
- Represent the company, with the proper image
- Manage sales channels
- Ideally, fully represent the products, even with Demonstrations
- Manage the CRM Process
- Read the audience and prospects
- Qualify the opportunity
- Feed the funnel, close the opportunities
- Appease Management
- Interact positively with Marketing and Engineering
Delivering on all these fronts is a challenge for sure. And, for some, this all comes naturally - which makes you the ideal salesperson. The people skills are the most important, followed by a solid grasp of the sales process, and finally, the technical skills to get it all done. Lacking in any areas quickly becomes costly - turning the simple sales call into the 4,6 or 8 legged call. For example - The Salesman needs a technical guru for the product demonstration - 4 legs, the manager feels that this is a key account and wants to present his "Corporate" image - 6 legs and then the local channel partner wants to tag along due to mistrust in the account handling - 8 legs...
Finding the right salesperson in the first place is greatly important to efficiency and success.
Some basic rules for Sales:
- Don't waste the prospects time. Pre-qualify the opportunity.
- Don't out-number the customer in a meeting - it just looks bad
- Listen as much as you talk
- Ask what the customer wants to see, and address the points - Do NOT start demonstrating all you know about the product. You will demo the customer into confusion, complexity and costs for things not needed in the first place...
- Learn from your customer. They will respect you for it.
- Continue learning and honing your skills
- Improve your technical skills
- Improve your Body Language skills
- Keep up with industry events
So, how can this site help you?
The automation marketplace is served through a variety of channels to market - Direct, Representatives, Distributors or Web/Catalog sales.
Other Tabs in this section will offer information and ideas to assist you in each of those areas.
Please give suggestions to how we may improve this site
Copyright 2010 - Automation Sales and Marketing Exchange
Dedicated to Delivering Tools, Tips and Techniques to Help Automation Sales and Marketing Professionals